Course Title:†† General Science ††††††††††† ††††††††††† ††††††††††† ††††††††Room 405
Instructor:†††††† Ms. Diniega
Welcome to a new school year!† Expect to learn new and interesting things that will add to your own unique learning style.† In return, you will bring to your classmates and myself a better understanding of the world through your eyes.
COURSE DESCRIPTION†† The course was designed to provide study skills and background information in developing an understanding technology.† They include the scientific method, energy, the study of elements and forces.
Notebook or Binder; Pen(Black or Blue); Red Pen; Pencils; Calculator; Folder; Dictionary
∑ ADDITIONAL MATERIALS WILL BE NEEDED DURING THE COURSE OF THE YEAR, HOWEVER YOU WILL BE INFORMED BEFOREHAND.
LAB FEE†† A lab fee of $2.50 will be used to cover the expense of materials used for labs and class activities that are needed for a better understanding of the subject.
ADDITIONAL POLICY†† Excessive tardies and absences may result in an attendance referral according to school board policy.† Please be aware that 11 unexcused absences during the semester will result in a NO CREDIT (NC) grade.† In addition, 3 tardies equals 1 absence.
DISCIPLINE POLICY† All minor offenses are recorded!† If you incur 3 minor offenses, you will be subject to a disciplinary referral.† Class rules and school rules are made to make learning hassle fee!† Please follow all rules.
CITIZENSHIP Attendance and disciplinary problems in class will affect your citizenship.† Please remember that your actions affect the learning of your classmates, respect their learning by acting responsibly.
GRADING SYSTEM† Grades are earned and not given. Grades are determined by the number of accumulated points earned and by the total number of points given by me.† Grades are based on notes, assignments, quizzes, tests, reports and class participation.
1. Make up work is your responsibility!† It is also a privilege for you.† Once you return to class from being absent, you must immediately inform me you need make up assignments, quizzes, or tests.† Arrangements will be made for due dates.
2. If you have a prearranged absence or a field trip, it is your responsibility to get assignments.† Make arrangements beforehand.
In order to complete this course successfully remember the following:
1. Complete all assignments neatly and on time.
2. Do your best.
3. Ask help if you donít understand.† Remember, no questions mean you know the material.
4. Learn to work on your own.† Cooperate with others.† If you can do both, you show yourself and reliability.
1. Classes and laboratory sessions will begin promptly!† Enter the classroom quickly, go to your seat and prepare for class.† When the bell rings at the end of the period, please remain in your seats until dismissed.
2. Talking or other misbehavior while another student or the teacher has the floor reflects a lack of respect and should not be tolerated by anyone in the class.† In the same spirit of mutual respect, to respond in a negative or sarcastic manner to another studentís questions, answers or comments is always inappropriate.
3. Do not enter any drawer, cabinet, or closet, or handle any equipment on the countertops without permission from the teacher.
4. Pick up any trash in and around your desk at the end of the period, and put it in the trashcan on your way out.† Also, push your chair in as you leave so that other people can move easily through the aisle.
5. Make no marks or holes on desks, walls, and books.† Defacing school property is a serious offense.
6. Be sure to use your breaks and the time between classes for visits to the bathroom, water fountain, and pencil sharpener.† No class time will be spent on these activities.
7. You may not eat any food or candy, or drink liquids in any part of the building unless it is at a teacherís invitation during a lunch meeting.† ABSOLUTELY NO GUM CHEWING!!!
8. The slick floor of Room 405 makes leaning back in oneís chair a very hazardous activity.† Please do not lean back.
9. On occasion, a substitute teacher will be called in to fill in for me.† Every student is expected to treat this visiting teacher with the full measure respect and helpfulness extended to any teacher or guest.
10. When you have finished your assignment early, you must remain in your seat.† You may do another assignment from another class, read a book, or do a crossword puzzle.† NO DOODLING, NO ELECTRONIC GAMES, CD OR CASSETTE PLAYERS!!!
Dear Parents and Students,
††††† This is a brand new school year and I am very pleased to have you and your child as part of our Simon Sanchez High School community.† School year 1999-2000 will be filled with activities, discoveries and new ideas.† Many things will be expected from each student taking this course such as cooperation, independent work, and respect for oneís peers, organization and patience.† In addition to this, building the foundation of knowledge for future use.† Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
†††† To my students, DO YOUR BEST!† Try not to let things sneak up on you, plan ahead.† Please read the syllabus provided for you and your parents.† Feel free to talk to me if you need help or need to discuss your concerns.
†††††††††††† †††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††† ††††††††††† Sincerely,
††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††† ††††††††††† Ms. Diniega